Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Twentysomethings

Jan. 1, 2009

We had our annual family gathering at Snow Mountain Ranch over the New Year with my sisters and their families which are principally dominated by five twentysomething cousins and significant others including our son Matt and his wife Liyun. Here's a picture with Pat and Kruiser piled onto Alex and Amy, two of the cousins.



We cross-country skied most days and Kruiser went with us every day. He was great on the groomed trails. We'd let him off leash as soon as we left the busy areas and he stayed close by with stick in mouth, hopeful for a toss. We had a one or two mile downhill one day and he kept up perfectly, though at the beginning of the downhill we almost wiped out. At full speed Kruiser accidentally dropped his stick. I managed to dodge it on my skis but then he lunged for it and I had to dodge him too. By then I was almost off the trail and had to make an emergency sharp left to avoid the snowbank. As graceless as the whole maneuver was, we somehow all stayed upright and Kruiser hung on to his stick all the rest of the run down.

Pat and Kruiser made me proud more than once with their fine manners inside the cabin. Best example--a bag of trash broke as Ed was taking it out and Pat, Kruiser, and my sister Debby's dog Tucker all descended on the open trash. I called out "ignore" from across the room and both Kruiser and Pat immediately walked away. What dogs!

No comments: